If someone ejaculated inside the vagina and you didn't realise, how long do you have to get rid of the semen?
Hi and thanks for your question.
Once semen is in the vagina it's pretty much impossible to get it all out. No amount of showering, washing or jumping up and down will do it. Also, if the semen is close to the cervix at ejaculation (the cervix is the opening to the uterus), it can get up into the uterus pretty quickly.
The best thing to do when something like this happens, if you want to prevent a pregnancy, is to use emergency contraception. Emergency contraception is a pill that can you use after unprotected sex to reduce the chances of a pregnancy. You need to use it as soon as possible after sex. It can work for up to 3 days after the sex, and still works a bit up until 5 days afterwards. (The effectiveness gets less as time passes, so the sooner the better.)
You can buy it over the counter at pharmacies. To get it at a pharmacy, the woman needs to buy it herself and needs to be over 16. It costs about $30. You can also get it at family planning or sexual health clinics where age is not so much of an issue. You can find your nearest clinic in the services directory below.
Remember that there is always a risk of sexually transmissible infections (STIs) when a condom breaks. It may be a good idea to get an STI screen if you or your partner have had any other sexual partners. You can do this at a sexual health or family planning clinic.
While condom breakages and slipping do just happen sometimes, there are some important things you can do to reduce the risk:
- Make sure the condom is in date.
- Don't store condoms in warm places (like car glove boxes or pockets).
- Squeeze all the air out of the tip of the condom before rolling it onto the penis.
- Always use extra lubricant (available at supermarkets or pharmacies). This prevents the dryness that can cause breakage.
- Make sure lubricants are water-based not oil-based (e.g. don't use baby oil).
- Pull the penis out immediately after ejaculation. (Erections usually go away quickly after that, which means that the condom could slip off easily.)
All the best and take care.